Thursday, January 4

Fight Club

“I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, and then I ran some more.” – Edward Norton

The energy in the above quote couldn’t have been further from my corpse like body as I headed out the door this evening. With my stomach churning and my enthusiasm level as low as my HR (45 while tying the shoes), it took every ounce of willpower & stubbornness to get going.

When days like this roll around I usually head out for my cool down loop, an easy 20’, and then reassess the situation. Unfortunately, the task appeared so daunting tonight I couldn’t even think about getting to the curb. I had to remove myself from the situation, focusing on the street side would’ve given me a turnaround point. It was non-negotiable, I just went out.

Just before leaving I dumped Jack Johnson and threw in some old favorites, Iggy Pop’s Lust For Life and Sigue Sigue Sputnik’s Atari Baby ensured I made it to the Ross Bay Cemetery… fitting place to run given my state. The first 15’ was slow, pedestrian like, my HR not getting above 120 but at least I was out there. Passed the Chinese Cemetery, up and over King George Terrace and then by
Doris Gravlin’s Ghost to the Oak Bay Beach Hotel.

I didn’t deserve to be feeling as good as I did at this point. I was running now, my shoulders relaxed and I felt… good. Where did this come from? As I cornered Margate to head home, the irony wasn’t lost on me as Bret Michaels’ (Poison, Something to Believe In) crooned, “road you gotta take me home”.

I laughed.

Training: no calisthenics (I was lucky just to have my shoes on), 56:40, AHR 134, MAX 154

4 comments:

MB said...

you write of an amazingly low heart rate while tying shoes, the running HR seems more in line. What is your resting HR?

Michael said...

I usually forget to take it in the mornings (that & I just had a cup of coffee), I don’t imagine it’ll be too much lower. The lowest I’ve ever seen it was either 38 or 39, but that was a few years ago. I’ll see if I can get around to taking it one morning.

Liam said...

Thanks for popping by my blog, and you would be more than welcome to head to Dublin come October (a late "2nd" honeymoon perhaps!). We would make sure you were shown around and had a blast. (Can't get you a run thru a tunnel though!)

Love2Run said...

Good to hear that you toughed it out. As they say, sometimes just turning the door knob is the hardest part.