Tuesday, January 23

Steely Determination

Following a few decent weeks and with my London program beginning next Monday, this week has been scheduled for recovery. With me racing the Mill Bay 10-k this Sunday (to aid with an assessment of my fitness), the plan today was for 2x 2 mile on 11:45, half-marathon pace (ish).

After struggling a tad to get out the door I wasn’t optimistic about the run, but after taking the long (25’) route to the track the grey clouds only hardened my steely determination.

I’m notorious for having a speedy first 10 steps and was pleased to see my opening 200 in 0:42 not 0:36 (my plan was to run 1:28 400s). The first mile passed effortlessly (even though 5” fast). Although quicker then intended, I found it difficult to ease up, my body more content to run 1:27s then 1:28s. With 1,200 to go, I was in a rhythm that carried me smoothly through to the finish.

The second 2-mile piece started more comfortably then the first. Although I found it easier to slip into a rhythm this time around, I was more strained/tense over the last 800 then I would’ve liked (particularly as it was supposed to be HMP).

11:36.2, AHR 161, MAX 165
11:38.6, AHR 159, MAX 165

Training: 2x 2 miles on 11:45 (11:36.2, 11:38.6), 1:09:47, AHR 137, MAX 165

4 comments:

MB said...

what was your recovery on the 2x2m?

Good luck on the Mill Bay 10-k! Will be looking for your report and hoping you set a pr. Breaking 34 would be cool and just under 5:30s.

Mike said...

Good luck in the 10K Michael. I wouldn't worry about half marathon pace feeling hard now; Since you're at the start of a build these paces will no doubt start to feel easier as you go along. No achilles mention today, I hope that means it's feeling better.

Chris said...

I say Mike runs in the 34s

Michael said...

Mark, recovery was 3' easy